Wednesday, June 3, 2009

How "Casual" Can a True Believer Be?

A good friend recently shared an article which helped me to understand the "State of America". I have found myself truly in a fog when it came to trying to comprehend things like election results, Supreme Court decisions, liberal churches, and even the principles espoused by some of my friends. These anomalies have been especially disconcerting when observing "Christians" in church seemingly oppose what is specific in scripture.
The article is an interview with George Barna concerning a recently released book, The Seven Faith Tribes: Who They Are, What They Believe, and Why they Matter. Two of the seven tribes are labeled Captive Christians and Casual Christians. His survey showed that 66% of the adult population in the U.S. are Casual Christians, while 16% are Captive Christians. Casual Christians have a faith that is not demanding but provides comfort. They have a desire for a "pleasant and peaceful existence." Casual Christians have a "desire to please God, family, and other people while extracting as much enjoyment and comfort from the world as possible."
In my title, I asked the question, "How casual can a True Believer be?" Herein lies the problem. Too many of us are asking this question in regards to our own living arrangements when the question we should be asking is, "What does the Father ask of me?" or "How can I better honor my Lord and Savior?" Our failure to impact our world as a Christian community is directly tied to our insatiable desire to be accepted by everyone who might make our lives uncomfortable if we were to live a Biblically principled lifestyle. We often find ourselves hedging on what should be our conviction in the name of "love" or "making peace" etc. I do think it is very important to develop and maintain loving relationships, but these relationships are worthless if we sacrifice our authenticity as followers of Christ.
In Galatians 1:10 Paul states, "Am I now trying to win the approval of people or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ's servant." George Barna puts it this way: "Casuals are about moderation in all things while Captives are about extreme devotion to their God regardless of the worldly consequences." I hope that each of us will choose on a daily basis the 'road less traveled' that Christ walked.
Blessings to all!

No comments: